Kushiel's Legacy ~ Jaqueline Carey's Saga First Italian Forum {Since 27-12-07}

Intervista

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 22/1/2008, 16:56

«winteriscoming»

Group:
Moderatore

CITAZIONE
First I’d like to thank you for accepting so kindly to answer the questions of Rivages-maudits.com. You are the author of the acclaimed “Kushiel’s Legacy” trilogy and of the epic duology “The Sundering”. You are now writing another trilogy in the world of Kushiel and the first book will be published the 12/06/06.

Questions about your books:

1- Kushiel's Legacy takes place in an alternate Europe, The Sundering series in a new world. What, between totally reworking our world and its history, or creating an entirely new setting, demanded the most imagination from you?
All in all, I would say that bringing the setting of Kushiel's Legacy to life required more imagination, because it covers so much territory and incorporates so many cultures. I had plenty of research to draw on, but it was still and continues to be a vast undertaking in terms of world-building.
2- For the moment, which one of your books are you the most satisfied with and why?
That's a hard question, it's like choosing a favorite among one's children! At the moment, it's the second book in Imriel's trilogy, Kushiel's Justice, primarily because I just finished editing it. I'm very happy with the results and the experience is fresh and vivid in my mind.

3- How old do you think a reader should be to enjoy respectively, your Kushiel series, and your Sundering series?
Due to the dark erotic content, I never recommend the Kushiel series to readers under eighteen. Many of them read it anyway, but not because I suggested it! And while the Sundering duology doesn't have the same sexual tone, the idea of rewriting epic fantasy as high tragedy might be more appealing to mature readers than young adults.

4- The d'Angeline honor one sacred precept: "Love as Thou Wilt." How did you come up with that idea?
I was interested in the idea of a deity whose sole divine attribute was love, and exploring the notion of love as a force capable of altering the course of human events.

5- Without giving away too many spoilers, we know that you are an author who doesn't hesitate to eliminate characters or make them go through awful hardships. Is it a necessary element of realism for you? And are those parts of the book tough to write?
Yes and yes. The fact that there's a very real chance characters will suffer or perish makes the emotional stakes real and meaningful. But there have been some dark passages that were very tough to write, and it's always hard to kill off beloved characters. There have been a few times when I've written through tears!

6- Why did you choose the 1st person form to tell Phèdre's story? Does it bring something that 3rd person does not?
I think it brings an immediacy and a sense of intimacy. Her nature as an “anguissette”, bound to experience pain as pleasure, is a provocative element. If I'd written in the 3rd person, I think it would feel much more voyeuristic. In the 1st person point of view, the reader is forced to experience everything from Phèdre's perspective.

7- We speak a lot of Phèdre and few of another hero of the series, Joscelin the Cassiline. Would you say a few words about this character? How did you create with him? Was he fun to write?
Phèdre is an unusual and unlikely heroine, so her heroic counterpart had to be unusual, too. Joscelin begins as a highly trained but inexperienced warrior. He's uptight, prickly, and sworn to chastity; not your typical romantic hero. Over the course of the series, many of his assumptions are challenged and broken. He becomes a formidable, deadly fighter, and a pretty prodigious lover. And yes, he's always great fun to write!

Questions about yourself:

8- You said in a previous interview that you felt your strength as a writer was versatility. Let's ask the opposite question then. What aspect of storytelling do you think you should improve, or what aspect of writing is the most difficult for you?
I've become so comfortable with the 1st person point of view, I found it a struggle switching to a multiple, shifting 3rd person point of view in the Sundering. It was harder to sustain momentum with so many narrative threads.

9- Some Fantasy writers are quite bonded to the genre and write fantasy books only, while others experiment with all sorts of literature (SF, but also history, poetry, philosophy etc). Do you feel rather bonded to Fantasy yourself, or does the idea of writing in other genres littéraires, appeal to you?
My tastes are eclectic. Kushiel's Dart was my breakthrough novel, but I've experimented with other genres in earlier, unpublished work, and I'm sure I will in the future.

10- As a reader, what is the most important quality you seek in a book? What makes a good book for you? (An action packed plot? Good characterisation? An original setting? Quality in the writing style? Etc).
All of the above. In the preface of "East of Eden," John Steinbeck wrote: "Well, here's your box. Nearly everything I have is in it, and it is not full. Pain and excitement are in it, and feeling good or bad and evil thoughts and good thoughts, the pleasure of design and some despair and the indescribable joy of creation. And on top of these are all the gratitude and love I have for you. And still the box is not full."
That's how I feel about a truly great book.

11- Does a writer, especially a successful one, owe something to his/her fans and if yes, to what extent?
I certainly feel that way. The success of my books is due in large part to word of mouth by avid fans, and I'm grateful for it. The extent is hard to gauge. One way I show my appreciation is by keeping an email link on my site and answering all my correspondence personally, but there may come a time when that's not feasible. It's different for every writer, but I think we should aways be mindful of the fact that without fans, none of us would be able to do what we love for a living.

12- For whom do you write in priority, yourself? Your readers? Your editor?
I write for myself and my muse, first and foremost. I have to love what I'm doing and take joy in the process. I can only hope that if I succeed in my craft, my readers and my editor will be happy.

’French themed’ questions:

13- Kushiel's Legacy trilogy takes place in Terre d'Ange, an alternate France. What made you choose such location as Phèdre's homeland?
I was inspired in part by a trip to Provence and falling in love with the landscape, the quality of the light, the scents and scenery, the sense of place. As it happened, that combined perfectly with the mythology I was creating; Blessed Elua, a deity begotten of the blood of Christ and the tears of Mary Magdalene, wandering the world and making his home in France. When I began the series, the apocryphal tale of Mary Magdalene's flight to France carrying the child of Jesus was quite obscure. "The Da Vinci Code" has certainly changed that!

14- Are the d'Angelines people somehow inspired from the picture people have of the French, (even to a small degree)?
The popular perception of the French as a highly sophisticated people certainly enhances the characterization of the D'Angelines, but their culture derives more from my invented mythology than any real world precedent.

15- Reading the descriptions of some parts of Terre d'Ange, it seems you visited France (the descriptions of the lavender fields for example puts immediately in mind of the Provence région). So, did you enjoy your stay?
Absolutement! I had a wonderful time.

16- An alternate French setting, an elegant prose, an original and sexy héroïne, your books could have success over here! Have you never heard of a possible French translation? What do you think of the idea?
It's taken a while, but I'm happy to say that last autumn, I signed a deal with French publisher Bragelonne for the rights to all three books of the original Kushiel trilogy. So it will happen over the next few years, and I hope the French translations of the books find the same wonderful readership that they have in English.

Additional questions:

17- Kushiel's Scion will be released in June. That's pretty soon. How do you feel about it?
I'm excited. I know a lot of readers have been waiting patiently for this one, and I'm looking forward to the adventure.

18- Is there anything you'd like to say about this new trilogy?
Imriel's story arc is more personal and intimate than Phèdre's. I think, and I've been hearing from advance readers, that in some ways it's more accessible. It's not quite as epic. He's not a god's chosen, not a peerless swordsman; he's a young man trying to come to terms with a terrible legacy, coming of age in the shadow of impossible heroes.
At the same time, thus far these books have been a sheer joy to write. I love the first one, and in the second, I deal for the first time with l'amour fou; mad love in all its passionate glory! And in the third... well, without giving anything away, I'm having a great deal of fun.

19- Anything you'd like to add for your French readers (we are not numerous, but we exist )?

Merci beaucoup pour lire mes livres.

Informazioni prese dal Rivages Maudits

Web  Top
0 replies since 22/1/2008, 16:56   190 views